Mohammad Ahsan / Hendra Setiawan Won The Men’s Doubles in the 2019 All England
Mohammad Ahsan / Hendra Setiawan managed to become the 2019 All England champion. The following is an important note behind that success. Ahsan / Hendra who became Indonesia’s only representative in the All England final. Ahsan / Hendra was able to answer the pressure very well. Ahsan / Hendra managed to end the duel against Aaron Chia / Soh Wooi Yik with the title in hand.
Here’s the interesting fact of the victory of Mohammad Ahsan / Hendra Setiawan at All England
- Ahsan / Hendra won the All England by beating Aaron / Soh with a score of 11-21, 21-14, 21-12. The defeat in the first game of the Malaysian doubles is the only loss to the game that Ahsan / Hendra experienced in this tournament. The rest, Ahsan / Hendra always wins two games directly.
- The success of Ahsan / Hendra as the All England champion this year made Indonesian men’s doubles repeat the achievements of 1994-1996 when Indonesia had the All England champion men’s doubles in three consecutive years [Rudy Gunawan / Bambang Suprianto 1994 champion followed by Ricky Subagja / Rexy Play champions in 1995 and 1996]. Before Ahsan / Hendra 2019 All England champions, Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo / Marcus Fernaldi Gideon were champions in the previous two editions.
- The victory of Mohammad Ahsan / Hendra Setiawan made Indonesia match Denmark’s record by having 21 titles in the men’s doubles at the All England event. England became the country with the most titles in the men’s doubles with 28 titles.
- Ahsan / Hendra’s victory made Indonesia at least always bring home a title from the All England since 2016.
- By becoming the All England champion, Ahsan / Hendra will reach the world number three position. The highest ranking ever occupied by Ahsan / Hendra is the world number one position.
2020 Olympic Games is The Next Destination
Despite oh their age, both of them haven’t though any plan about retiring. Instead, they aim higher for another title at the 2020 Olympic Games. Absolutely no plan to retire in the near future.
Ahsan / Hendra stole Indonesian public attention after winning the 2019 All England. This is their second title after the first one, the 2014 All England.
The title also feels special because it was achieved both at an age that is not young anymore. As is known, the pair nicknamed “The Daddies” are over 30 years old, namely 31-year-old Ahsan and Hendra who have touched 34 years. The 2019 All England title was recognized as both increasingly motivating them to seize higher targets. Ahsan / Hendra unequivocally insisted that he did not have a retirement plan because he wanted to excel at the Olympics.
“Maybe, my age is not young anymore. However, I still have plans to play maybe for another 2 or 3 years,” Hendra said.
Ahsan also acknowledged that he was still eager to win another title. One of the highlights of his aim is the 2020 Olympic Games which will be held in Tokyo, Japan.
“I think if we are young and our enthusiasm is still like a young player. Even though age cannot be fooled. However, we are determined to achieve something at the Olympics,” Ahsan said.
At the 2016 Olympics, Mohammad Ahsan / Hendra Setiawan was only able to reach the group stage. Now, Ahsan / Hendra is determined to win the prestigious title in the world by 2020.