Port Glasgow beach water is not safe

July 16, 201 3
ELGIN ST. THOMAS PUBLIC HEALTH

By Direction of the Acting Medical Officer of Health , Dr Franklin Warsh, of the Elgin St Thomas Public Health, use of the Port Glasgow beach water is not safe.

Do Not Drink, Swim or Wade in beach water due to the presence of Blue-Green algae at the Port Glasgow Beach.

People and pets should not swim or wade in the lake. Any fish from here should not be eaten and people should also avoid contact with blue-green algae along the shoreline.

People who come in contact with or ingest water containing the blue-green algae may experience skin irritation , rash, sore throat, sore red eyes, swollen lips, fever, nausea and vomiting and/or diarrhea.

Symptoms usually appear within one to three hours and resolve in one to two days. Symptoms in children are often more pronounced because they spend more time in the water and are more likely to accidentally ingest contaminated water.

This posting is in effect until further notice when these conditions improve.

Check Also

Imitation Meat Products Recalled Due to Undeclared Egg – Food Recall Warning (Allergen)

Recall date: May 16, 2014 Reason for recall: Allergen – Egg Hazard classification: Class 1 …

Leave a Reply