A man from Ontario will finish his cross-country bike ride here this weekend. Derek Shirley began this ride in Vancouver on April 16th, and pulls into St. John’s on Sunday. Shirley is with the It Takes Two Leadership Institute in St. Thomas, Ontario. His bike tour, the Making Wow Tour, is meant to promote youth leadership, and raise money and awareness for at-risk youth. He says his reason for doing it hits close to home.
His friend’s son committed suicide in December.
Shirley says another reason he’s riding is because the institute will launch its Tandem Bike Ride for Youth At Risk next year. Police officers and at-risk youth will ride together to promote awareness, and he’s doing some of the legwork on his current bike tour.
He says he’s connecting with police across the country to get support for the idea.
Original article http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&id=35813&latest=1
Latest posts by Nathan Leeds (see all)
- 80 for 80: Celebrating Eighty Years of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario - November 28, 2013
- Snow Squall Warning for: St. Thomas – Aylmer – Eastern Elgin County - November 27, 2013
- Deputy Commissioner Larry Beechey retires from OPP - November 27, 2013
- Snow Squall watch for: St. Thomas – Aylmer – Eastern Elgin County - November 27, 2013
- Blowing up education - November 27, 2013