St. Thomas Public Library invites applications for an experienced, innovative Systems and Support Services Librarian to join our professional team. Reporting to the CEO, the incumbent in this newly created position will be responsible for operation and maintenance of the library’s integrated library system as well as technical services. The incumbent would also be responsible for developing opportunities to enhance electronic resources, services and collections, investigate and implement innovative e-services, and maintain the library’s website and on-line presence.
Familiarity with Sirsi/Dynix and other integrated library systems, including open source, would be an asset. Migration to a new ILS, anticipated for 2015, will be a major responsibility of the position
Systems and Support Services Librarian
Chief Executive Officer
Under the general direction of the Chief Executive Officer, is responsible for Systems and Support Services, including the operation and maintenance of the integrated library system, and technical services. Provides system support for the Sirsi/Dynix system and all other library computer systems as required
Full time permanent, non-union
HOURS OF WORK:
May include evenings and Saturdays
RATE OF PAY:
$31.36 – $39.23 per hour
$57,068 – $71,390 (July 1, 2013) annual
plus a comprehensive benefits package
1. Plans, organizes and supervises the operation of library systems and technical services.
2. For all personnel holding authorized positions under the incumbent’s direct supervision, and subject to consultation with the Chief Executive Officer and established practice:
a) Participates in the selection and hiring of departmental staff.
b) Determines, develops, recommends, and following approval, coordinates and /or conducts staff training and development
c) Appraises the performance and conduct of employees.
d) Identifies the areas of inadequate performance and undertakes informal corrective action. Where such informal corrective action does not rectify the problem, refers the matter to the Chief Executive Officer for formal corrective action.
e) Establishes staff schedule for the department, and schedules and/or grants sick and annual leave.
f) Encourages and assists in maintaining a high standard of morale.
g) Administers departmental activities in accordance with the provisions of the Collective Agreement and Board policies.
3. Supervises the acquisition, cataloguing and processing of materials; ensures the efficient operation of the integrated library system, and all electronic networks and systems to support public service activities.
4. Pursues opportunities to enhance electronic resources, services and collections, and investigates opportunities to develop and implement innovative e-services. Responsible for maintaining the library website and on-line presence.
5.Represents the library in partnerships with external organizations to analyze and deploy technologies.
6. Maintains accurate records, including, but not limited to collections and acquisitions, staff schedules and other necessary department records; and prepares regular reports.
7. Collects data; maintains records; formulates budget requests for facility maintenance, systems and technical services, for staff training, and administers budgets for these operations.
8. Makes recommendations to the Chief Executive Officer for efficiency or enhancement of the library’s networks, systems and technical services,
9. Initiates and maintains effective liaison with computer hardware and software vendors and suppliers to assure reliable operation of system and to keep abreast of technological advances.
10. Attends regular meetings with the Chief Executive Officer and conducts meetings of departmental staff as required. Meets and collaborates with other department heads on joint initiatives. Maintains liaison with public service staff to determine effectiveness of support services. May participate as an employer representative on joint committees including, but not limited to, Labour/Management, Health and Safety, Job Evaluation and any other as assigned by the Chief Executive Officer.
11. Conducts research, responds to surveys and provides background information to the Chief Executive Officer.
12. Reads professional literature, attends professional conferences, and maintains current awareness of job-related issues and developments.
13. This position is required to act on behalf of the Corporation and shall ensure compliance with the duties of employers as described in the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations and is responsible for the health and safety of City employees and must ensure at all times that:
a) Employees work in the manner and with the protective devices, measures and procedures required by the Occupational Health and Safety Act, the regulations, and City policies.
b) Employees use or wear the equipment, protective devices or clothing that the City requires to be used or worn
c) Workers are advised of the existence of any potential or actual danger to the health or safety of the worker of which the supervisor is aware
d) Where so prescribed, workers are provided with written instructions as to the measures and procedures to be taken for protection of the worker
e) Every precaution reasonable in the circumstances is taken for the protection of a worker.
14. Performs such other duties necessary to maintain the continuity of services under the incumbent’s jurisdiction.
A Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited library school together with a minimum of three years library experience in technical services and computerized information services. Must demonstrate leadership, organizational and management skills applicable throughout the organization. Must be proficient in the use of current computer software and technology. Must possess superior communication and organizational skills coupled with progressive experience in supervision.
Applications must be received no later than: Friday, June 28, 2013 @ 5 pm
Cover letters and resumes should refer to position 2013SSL and be addressed to:
Rudi Denham, CEO
St. Thomas Public Library
153 Curtis St.
St. Thomas, ON N5P 3Z7
Note: All appointments will be conditional on an acceptable criminal records check including a vulnerable sector search.
We thank all candidates for their interest in St. Thomas Public Library, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contactedSystems and Support Librarianhttp://thestthomasblog.com/news/announcements/jobs/systems-and-support-librarian/http://i1.wp.com/thestthomasblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/St-Thomas-Public-Library.jpg?fit=600%2C600http://i1.wp.com/thestthomasblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/St-Thomas-Public-Library.jpg?resize=300%2C300 Employmentchief executive officer,comprehensive benefits,electronic resources,evenings,innovative systems,integrated library system,integrated library systems,professional team,saturdays,services librarian,sirsi,St.Thomas,support librarian,system 2c,thomas public library