Recall date: November 19, 2013
Reason for recall:Microbiological – Salmonella
Ottawa, November 19, 2013 – Loblaw Companies Limited is recalling Suraj brand Garlic Powder from the marketplace due to possible Salmonella contamination. Consumers should not consume the recalled product described below.
The following product has been sold nationally.
|Brand Name||Common Name||Size||UPC||Additional Info|
|Suraj||Garlic Powder||400 g||0 57197 37238 0||Best Before 2015 AL 22|
What you should do
Check to see if you have recalled product in your home. Recalled product should be thrown out or returned to the store where it was purchased.
Food contaminated with Salmonella may not look or smell spoiled but can still make you sick. Young children, pregnant women, the elderly and people with weakened immune systems may contract serious and sometimes deadly infections. Healthy people may experience short-term symptoms such as fever, headache, vomiting, nausea, abdominal cramps and diarrhea. Long-term complications may include severe arthritis.
This recall was triggered by Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) test results. The CFIA is conducting a food safety investigation, which may lead to the recall of other products. If other high-risk products are recalled the CFIA will notify the public through updated Food Recall Warnings.
The CFIA is verifying that industry is removing recalled product from the marketplace.
There have been no reported illnesses associated with the consumption of this product.
The current and future economic prosperity of the Canadian agriculture and forestry sectors relies on a healthy and sustainable animal and plant resource base. As such, the CFIA is continually improving its program design and delivery in the animal health and plant resource areas in order to minimize and manage risks. In an effort to protect the natural environment from invasive animal and plant diseases and plant pests, the CFIA also performs extensive work related to the protection of environmental biodiversity.
Latest posts by Canadian Food Inspection Agency (see all)
- Notification – Certain Healthcare Food Services brand Chicken Rice Soup may contain pieces of plastic - December 4, 2013
- Food Recall Warning – Suraj brand Garlic Powder recalled due to Salmonella - November 20, 2013
- Food Recall Warning (Allergen) – Forever Health brand Imitation Ham recalled rue to undeclared Wheat - November 9, 2013
- Food Recall Warning (Allergen) – Bella Tavola brand pastas recalled due to undeclared milk - November 9, 2013
- Health Hazard Alert – Certain Uncooked Lean Ground Beef may contain E. coli O157:H7 bacteria - October 21, 2013