St. Thomas, Ontario – The St. Thomas-Elgin Local Immigration Partnership (STELIP) is pleased to announce the first Newcomer Champion Awards, launched at the 3rd Annual Walk With Me 2014 Event last Wednesday, September 24th at St. Thomas Senior Centre.
The Newcomer Champion Awards initiative supports the building of prosperous, vibrant and connected communities by encouraging citizenship and engagement. We want to recognize the individuals and business from St. Thomas and Elgin County that are making a difference!
There are 2 types of awards:
Excellence in Diversity & Inclusion Award – an individual, group or organization that is:
- Working with the community to address the needs of newcomers;
- Developing an understanding of our local cultural diversity;
- Working to strengthen the community by working with others to build positive changes;
- Volunteering to support diversity and newcomers and advocating for social and civic inclusion;
- Delivering services that provide the groundwork for newcomers to be socially and economically active;
Newcomer Community Leader Award – a newcomer that is giving back to the community in some capacity in a positive and progressive way:
- Committed to making a difference by creating welcoming communities for other newcomers;
- Working with the community to strengthen and build positive changes.
Eligibility: any organization established in Elgin County or any resident of Elgin County since at least January 1st, 2014.
Nominations will run from September 24th until January 15th, 2015. The winners will be announced at our next event Moving Forward on February 19th, 2015.
Any resident of St. Thomas and Elgin County can send a nomination to the STELIP team by filling out a Nomination Form, available to download from www.ywcastthomaselgin.org / Programs / St. Thomas Elgin Local Immigration Partnership.
For more information, please contact:
Fabiana Estrela Petrusia Hontar
Stelip- Project Coordinator Stelip Researcher / Project Assistant
Phone: (519) 631-9800 Ext. 239 Phone: (519) 631-9800 Ext. 241